You don't have to be a veteran gardener to grow fresh, tree-ripened figs in your own backyard. Figs are semi-tropical plants that like heat and a lot of sun. However, with the proper winter protection, they can flourish in northern environments as well. Fig trees grow quickly, and can reach up to 30 feet in height in no time. Though there is an infinite types of fig trees, popular varieties include Brown Turkey, Black Mission and Desert King.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
Choose the planting location in your yard. Look for an area that gets full sun throughout the day. Protection from strong winds and frost, such as a brick wall, is helpful in colder environments.
Purchase a young fig plant. You can buy from your local nursery or order online for more variety. Do the research on what type of fig will grow best in your yard before you buy.
Dig a hole that's about 3 feet deep. Line the bottom of the hole with bricks or pieces of broken pots, and place the young tree inside. Though this is not a crucial step, it will restrict the roots to a compact base and prevent the formation of taproots. If planting multiple trees, leave at least 10 feet between plants.
Cover the hole. Use an average soil mixed with compost for best results. Do not use manure, as fig trees are light eaters and too many nutrients will slow the growth of fruit.
Water the tree right after planting and again in 24 hours. Once the tree is established, the soil should be well drained.
Tips and warnings
- Plant your fig tree in a container to make it easier to move in the winter. Fig trees grow well to containers, as long as water nutrients are regularly provided.
- Winter temperatures can kill the semi-tropical fig plant. Bring potted plants indoors for protection, and insulate the base of in-ground trees with leaves or straw. Wrap the branches with blankets and wrap the entire tree in plastic.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for