The uvula is the elongated portion of skin that hangs in the upper section of the throat. It is responsible for catching bacteria and illnesses that are known to enter by way of the digestive tract. The uvula is not an organ that can be removed, unless severe cases of mouth cancer are found. Many other nodes in the human body serve a similar purpose as the uvula. There are remedies that can be used to help cure a swollen uvula at home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ice chips
- Glass of warm salty water
- Glass of ice water
- Garlic clove, cut into small pieces
Chew on ice chips for as long as your throat can handle the cold. The drop in temperature helps to numb the area for a short time and helps relieve swelling.
Gargle with a glass of warm salt water directly after eating the ice chips to help bring down some of the swelling and alleviate the pain. Continue this with the entire glass of water, as it is a temporary remedy and will wear off.
Add a small pinch of turmeric to a glass of ice water and stir well. Drink this cold water to help get rid of an accompanying cold or respiratory illness. This will help to alleviate pain and relieve swelling.
Drizzle a teaspoon with honey and suck on this twice a day. This will also help to rid the uvula of any toxicity and help reduce swelling.
Tips and warnings
- There are many home remedies for a swollen uvula, most of which all have temporary effects. Included are over-the-counter medications that have acetaminophen as an active ingredient. In the correct doses, this ingredient helps relieve swelling and pain.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage of acetaminophen or any other over-the-counter drug, as this will not help to cure your ailment any faster and may cause an overdose that requires hospitalisation.
- Do not use any herbal home remedies without first consulting your health care provider.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for