Rock crushers come in many shapes and sizes, from the strictly handheld to the complex industrial sizes, which can crush tons of rock and ore in one day. Making your own rock crusher invariably requires you or someone you know to possess some basic welding skills. Iron is the ore of choice when it comes to breaking rocks into hand-sized pieces, and a skilled or even semi-skilled welder are the only people who can shape iron. This particular kind of rock crusher is perfect for homeowners or amateur prospectors.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Arc welding kit
- C-clamp (5-inch)
- Iron board (1/2-inch thick, 10-by-16 inches)
- Iron pipe (1/4-inch thick, 4-inch diameter, 12 inches long)
- Iron pipe, one end capped (1/4-inch thick, 2 1/2 inch-diameter, 6 inches long)
- Iron rod (1-inch diameter, 3 feet long)
- Mixing sticks
- Permanent marker
- Quick-dry concrete
- Tape measure
- Welder's mask
- Wheelbarrow or metal mixing tub
Using your tape measure and permanent marker, measure and mark the centre of the iron board.
Center the 4-inch diameter pipe on the mark.
Activate your arc welding torch, don you welder's mask, and weld the 4-inch pipe to the iron board. Let stand until cool to the touch.
Pour the quick dry cement in a wheelbarrow or metal tub, follow the mixing directions on the package. You will not need to use more than 0.907kg. of cement at most.
Using a trowel, pack the capped 6-inch iron pipe with wet cement.
Quickly insert the 3-foot iron rod into the cement. Move it until it stands at the centre of the pipe. You may need to prop it in place by fixing a C-clamp to it and laying the clamp on the top of the pipe. Let the cement dry---even quick-dry cement may take 4 to 6 hours to set.
Use the cemented rod pipe as a piston, driving it down into the 4-inch base pipe to crush rocks.
Tips and warnings
- Always use a welder's mask when welding.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for