Changing the oil on your vehicle is a very dirty and somewhat challenging job. That is the main reason that most people seek the help of a professional to change their oil. However, with a little bit of knowledge and quite a bit of elbow grease, you can easily change the oil on your car by yourself. To change your oil you have to remove your car's oil pan. Thankfully on a Volkswagen Passat, this is an easy process.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Car jack
- Jack stands
- Dripping pan
Engage your car's emergency break. Even though your car will be powered off while you are working, you should still take this safety precaution.
Place your car jack about 6 to 8 inches behind the front tire and jack the car up.
Slide a jack stand under your car to keep it raised. Repeat on the other side of your car.
Put your gloves on and slide under your Passat. Bring your dripping pan with you.
Locate your Passat's oil pan. It is located directly underneath the engine and is rectangular in shape.
Drain the oil from your car by removing the oil plug. Allow the oil to collect in your dripping pan.
Using your wrench, remove the four bolts that hold the Passat's oil pan in place. Once the bolts are removed, the oil pan will simply come off.
Tips and warnings
- Wear a set of clothes that you don't mind getting dirty, because you are sure to get oil and grease on you.
- If you don't drain the oil before removing the oil pan, you will have a huge mess.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for