Rum Baba cake is a delicious party dessert. Rum Baba cakes are dense, yeast cakes that are traditionally saturated with rum. They are often topped with a whipped cream, but add whatever topping will make it your own. Rum Baba cake has a Slavic origin and the name means old women or grandmother in Slavic languages. The cake is often called "baba" for short, throughout Europe.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 6 eggs
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¾ cup sugar
- Flour sifter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup raisins
- 9 tbsp melted butter
- ¾ cup lukewarm milk
- ½ cup water
- Bundt cake pan
- ½ cup white rum
Combine the eggs, yeast and sugar. Beat vigorously until they are not only combined but light and airy.
Sift the flour and baking powder together until they are fully combined.
Add the flour and baking powder gradually to the eggs and sugar. Whisk until it's a smooth combination, about 2 minutes.
Add the raisins, butter, lukewarm milk and water to the mix. Blend until the mixture is fully combined.
Pour into a greased bundt cake pan and bake for about 30 minutes at 162 degrees C. When the cake is cooled, saturate with rum.
Tips and warnings
- Top slices with whipped cream. Make by adding 1 cup cream to a bowl. Beat with a hand blender until the cream starts to make ridges and hold firm. Do not beat past this stage or the cream will turn into butter.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for