Skateboards can get pretty expensive, so for the frugal consumer who still wishes to carve around town on a longboard, here is a way to build your own. The deck is the only component you will actually have to build yourself. The trucks, wheels and bearings can be bought at any skate shop and attached to your homemade deck.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 Trucks
- 8 bearings
- 4 wheels
- 1 4- by 8-foot sheet of half-inch plywood
- Wood sealer/finish
- Sponge brush
- Grip Tape
First draw a centre line on the 4- by 8-foot plywood, longways. Then decide how wide and long you want your board. Standard size is about 9 inches wide and 40 inches long.
Once you have the basic dimensions of the board, draw the shape. Make the middle of the board the widest, around 9 inches, and then taper down to around 5 inches at the top and bottom. Then make wheel holes at the top and bottom, so that the wood is a 4-inch wide rectangle at both the top and bottom of the board.
Apply the wood sealant to both sides of the board. If you wish, you can paint the deck as well, but be sure to use varnish on the wood before you do.
Next, drill the holes for where the trucks will be attached. It is a good idea to put the trucks on the board and pencil in where you want to drill the holes. The straighter the trucks, the better the board.
The last step is to put it all together. Put the bearings in the wheels, attach the wheels to the trucks, then screw the trucks onto the deck through the holes. Stick the grip tape on the top of the deck and you have yourself a brand new skateboard.
Building Your Deck
Tips and warnings
- 1. When selecting the plywood, try and find a 4- by 8-foot sheet of something that doesn't bend much when you stand on it.
- 2. When cutting out the wheel holes on the deck, remember to leave some empty space. If you cut the rectangle about 6 inches deep, then you should have enough space to install the trucks without making the board unstable. Note: the trucks should NOT be flush with the front and back of the deck.
- 3. Make sure the trucks are straight.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for