Pirates wore many kinds of hats and bandannas. A popular style was the captain's hat. This was usually worn by the commander of the pirate vessel. The captain's hat was high and had a shape that was somewhat arched or triangular. Captain hats were often trimmed with plumes and gold and silver braids. You can make a simple pirate hat out of newspaper.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1 full sheet of newspaper
- Paint (optional)
- Plumes and other accessories (optional)
Fold your newspaper in half so that just the first page is visible. You should be able to see the entire first page.
Turn the paper so that the long side is horizontal. Fold down the two top corners so that they reach within 2 inches of the bottom of the paper and their sides meet in the middle. You should have a large triangle with a band or flap along the bottom.
Fold up the top sheet of the flap. Fold the other side of the flap up toward the other side of the hat.
Fold the entire hat in the middle on a line going from the point of the triangle down to the bottom of the hat. Re-open the fold. Your hat should have what appears to be two sections, one of which can hang downward when placed on the head.
Place the hat on your head, one side of the triangle facing forward. Mold the crown a little with your hands so that it partially takes the shape of your head. Push the other part of the hat--the part beyond the fold--a little downward so that it sort of covers the back of your neck.
Tips and warnings
- Paint and decorate your pirate hat. Pirate hats were usually black, but you can use any colour you wish. Draw a skull and crossbones or other design on the hat. Add feathers and gold and silver tinsel.
- Fold the brim carefully so as not to tear the paper. You can lightly twist together the far ends of the brim at the front and back.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for