Fruit is a healthy snack, but in some situations, dehydrated fruit is more convenient than fresh fruit. Traditional fruit dehydration is done outdoors, in a regular oven or inside a dehydrating machine. The microwave is not the best method for dehydrating fruit because the high temperatures can cause the fruit to burn, but with some patience, microwave fruit dehydration can be accomplished.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sharp knife
- Microwave-safe tray
- Microwave oven
- Paper towels
Wash your fruit using either soap and water or a veggie spray.
Dry the fruit so that there is no water on the outside of the skin or rind.
Use a sharp knife to thinly slice the fruit into small pieces.
Lay the pieces of sliced fruit on paper towels to soak up extra moisture. Also press paper towels on top of the fruit to remove any excess juice and speed up the dehydration process.
Place several pieces of fruit on a microwave safe tray that allows for air circulation above and below the fruit. A ridged bacon cooking tray works well.
Cook the fruit on the defrost setting at intervals of 5 to 10 minutes until the fruit is dehydrated.
Remove the fruit from the microwave and place it on a wire rack for a few hours to finish the dehydration process. The fruit will be flexible and soft, but not juicy.
Store the finished fruit in airtight plastic or glass containers.
How to Dehydrate Fruit Using the Microwave Oven
Tips and warnings
- Dehydrating times will vary according to the type of fruit and the wattage and voltage of the particular microwave. Always test a small batch to get the correct timing before attempting to dehydrate a large amount of fruit.
- Fruits that are very juicy will not dehydrate will in the microwave or they will take a very long time. Some good microwave choices are apples, bananas, firm pears and strawberries.
- Thinner slices of fruit will dehydrate best. If the fruit is sliced too thick, the microwave will cook or warm the food rather than dehydrate it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for