Some women change their handbags as often as they change their socks. Having new handbag options is welcomed by most women, and making your own allows you to add unique touches to your purse. Making your own doctor-style handbag also allows you to create inexpensive purses for friends or family members as gifts.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Preferred fabric for the body of the bag and handles
- Spare fabric to create a pattern
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
Decide how large you want your doctor-style handbag to be. It should be roomy enough to fit your essentials, such as cell phone, small amount of make-up and anything else you carry on a daily basis. A good size to start is 10 by 6 inches. Remember you want the bottom of the bag to be larger to create the doctor-style handbag proportions.
Create your pattern for the bag. With a measuring tape, create a pattern for the bag. Measure 10 inches across and draw a line. From that, draw a rainbow in proportion to the 6-inch suggested measurement. After this, you will have a half-circle pattern that will serve as your pattern for the body of the bag.
Transfer that pattern to your preferred fabric. This is the fabric the actual bag will be constructed of. Create two of these, which will serve as the front and back of the bag.
Sew the two pieces of fabric together. Use a sewing machine to get precise, durable stitching throughout the body of the bag. Be sure to only sew the bottom and only part of the way up on either side of the bag, leaving the top completely open.
Sew the zipper to the top of the bag. The opening of the bag is where the zipper will be. Sew the zipper with a sewing machine as well to be sure it's secure and will not come undone from the bag with regular use.
Create and sew the handles of the bag. Now that the base of the bag is done, create your handles with your preferred material. Cut strips of fabric about 5 to 7 inches long. Fold in half and sew. Apply either end of the strip to the bag and sew into place.
Add a personal touch. Now that the doctor style handbag is complete, add your own personal touch. You can add trim like rick-rack or adorn the bags with buttons.
How to Make a Doctor-style Handbag
Tips and warnings
- If adding embroidery or appliques to the bag, do this prior to sewing the two preferred material pieces together.
- Use old leather bags to create new bags.
- Make old leather more pliable (and easier to work with) by soaking it in leather lotion prior to use.
- To determine how long the handle drop should be, measure a bag you currently have and decide if you'll only wear the bag in the crook of your arm or if you'd like to wear it over the shoulder as well.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for