Wooden rabbit cages are a little trickier to clean than your normal plastic or metal cages. This is because wooden cages absorb the rabbit's urine. You will want to disinfect the wood as well as give the cage a thorough cleansing. This will keep your rabbits happy as well as healthy.
Things you need
Dust pan and brush
Remove all of the rabbit's toys and food dishes. Also remove the water bottle. Wash the water bottle and the food dish and replace them with fresh food and water. Rinse off all toys or wash them with some dish soap.
Brush all of the wood shavings on the bottom of your rabbit cage into a trash bag. If you used newspaper instead, you can just roll the newspaper up and place it in the trash bag.
Remove the litter box if your rabbit is litter box trained. Throw the litter away and wash the box with some dish soap and hot water in a bathtub.
Fill a bucket with hot soapy water and add 1/4 cup of vinegar. Vinegar will help to disinfect and get rid of any urine odours that have absorbed into the wood.
Wash the wooden parts of the cage with the vinegar water and a rag. Don't be afraid to let the wood soak up some of this mixture. That way it will clean and disinfect down deep.
Place new newspaper and wood shavings in the cage. Replace the food dish and the water bottle. Put back any toys that you had for your rabbit. Finally, place your rabbit gently back in to his cage.
- Make sure you take the rabbit out of the cage before you begin cleaning it. Clean the wooden cage once per week.
- Wear rubber gloves while cleaning your rabbit cage. This will protect you from the urine and faeces. Don't use pine or cedar shavings in a rabbit cage. Rabbits can have a reaction to these.
Tips and Warnings
- Make sure you take the rabbit out of the cage before you begin cleaning it.
- Clean the wooden cage once per week.
- Wear rubber gloves while cleaning your rabbit cage. This will protect you from the urine and faeces.
- Don't use pine or cedar shavings in a rabbit cage. Rabbits can have a reaction to these.
Things you need
- Trash bag
- Dust pan and brush
- Small bucket
- Dish soap