If you love to bake cakes, don't limit yourself to just baking the cake. Get artsy. Unleash your creativity and passion for food and art by decorating your cakes. Rather than buying expensive decorating tools to get started, make your own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 8"x12" sheet of parchment or waxed paper
- Rectangular piece of plastic
- Utility knife
- Carving knife
Determine the size cone you want and tear off an 8-by-12-inch sheet of parchment or waxed paper.
Fold the parchment paper diagonally and cut the paper with scissors along the crease to create two triangles.
Make a cone shape with one of the triangles and fold the tail end into the cone on the seam side.
Fill the cone with about two-thirds of the frosting, then fold in the corners of the cone, making sure to fold the top down again before beginning to decorate the cake.
Cut off the point of the cone with scissors. The size of the opening depends on how thick you want the line of icing to be.
Decorate the cake using the paper cone.
Parchment Paper Cone
Obtain a rectangular piece of plastic a few millimetres thick.
Cut the piece of plastic with a utility knife so that it is at least 10 by 5 inches.
Clean the cut piece of plastic thoroughly and use it for scraping the sides of the cake with icing. Carve patterns into the sides of the scraper with a carving knife to lend texture to the icing.
Tips and warnings
- To keep the cone from unfolding, hold the seam side toward you after you fill it with icing.
- Don't overfill the cone, which can cause icing to spill out the top.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for