Yorkshire Terriers are known for their soft, beautiful coats and energy. According to the American Kennel Club, these dogs are one of the most popular breeds. But before breeding this type of canine, it's important to have a few tips, such as choosing a dog for breeding and understanding how often to breed the dog. In addition, you'll need to carefully monitor the pregnancy to safeguard your canine's health.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Purchase a Yorkshire terrier for breeding. To find AKC approved breeders, check out the Yorkshire Terrier section on the AKC website. Look for a dog that meets the AKC's breeding standards for Yorkshire Terriers (see Resources).
Choose a breeding companion for your dog. It's important to choose a dog that will be optimal for breeding. Locate individuals who are interested in breeding their dogs at the American Kennel Club's site. It's important to examine the dog in person to ensure the canine meets breeding standards.
Understand how often to breed your female dog. Yorkshire Terriers are in heat every six months. However, breeders will discourage you from breeding your dog during the first six months of life because the canine is still developing.
Determine when your Yorkshire Terrier is ready to breed. This occurs approximately 10 to 14 days after the first day of your canine's menstrual cycle. When this occurs, your dog is ready to successfully breed with a male Yorkshire Terrier. Try to breed the dogs every other day, until the female dog is no longer interested.
Track your Yorkshire Terrier's pregnancy. Dogs are pregnant for about two months (or 63 days). If she is pregnant longer than that, contact the vet.
Tips and warnings
- Watch your female Yorkshire Terrier carefully. Keep her supervised at all times so she doesn't leave your sight and breed with another canine.
- Don't forget to create a contract with the male dog's owners. This will determine the percentage of revenue each party will keep from the sale of the litter.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for