You may have an old ball gown sitting in your wardrobe after using it once. Rather than clutter up your wardrobe with a formal dress that you are probably never going to use again, give someone else a chance of a formal wear bargain and put it up for sale.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Inspect the used ball gown you wish to sell. While a used ball gown won't have original tags and packaging, it shouldn't have holes and stains. Ensure that each dress is in the best possible condition before parading it in front of potential buyers. Consider taking each dress to the dry cleaner's or an alteration shop to repair minor blemishes. This is especially important if you want top whack for the dress. Used ball gowns with damages can be sold, but you'll need to price them accordingly.
Write down detailed size, style and wear information for each dress. Photograph each dress for quick previewing. Allow serious buyers to inspect the dresses in person. This will help prevent dresses from being stained by unnecessary handling.
Price each dress according to current trends. Ball gown styles and popularity change every season so, don't expect a high price for a dress that was trendy years ago. Take a window shopping trip to inspect the prices of this season's hottest dresses. Designer price tags on used prom dresses probably won't generate any buyer interest.
Sweeten the deal with accessories and discounts. Offer to provide items such as shoes, jewellery and purses with the dress purchase. Providing services such as hair styling or make-up styling is another avenue for increased sales. Offer extra savings for purchasing multiple dresses.
Make targeted appeals to parents and students to get the dresses sold. Run ads in local school newspapers to create interest in your product. Create a custom fashion show to showcase your dresses. Let potential buyers see that used dresses can still make bold fashion statements.
Tips and warnings
- Consider teaming up with an alteration shop to boost both of your profits. Exchange alteration referrals for advertisement space.
- Market the ball gowns for use on other formal occasions such as weddings and conventions.
- Avoid pricing your used ball gowns too high. There are many discount shops that offer new ball gowns for reduced rates. Remember, you are competing with Primark.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for