Building a bed for your child or toddler can be a fulfilling experience for the whole family. Create a supplies list, a woodworking plan and select a pattern. Make sure you choose a design for the fire engine bed that's appropriate for the child's age. The accessories make this bed very special for your little firefighter.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wood working plans
- Skill saw
- Drill with screwdriver attachment
Select a woodworking plan that establishes a framework for the bed-building project. Purchase wood for this project that's 1/2 inch plywood and up. The strength of the wood is vital for safety.
Begin assembly inside the room designed for use of the fire engine bed. Bring all materials and supplies to the location. Build the bed frame. Make adjustments based on the addition of drawers, tailgate or rail ladder.
Attach the pieces together for the bed frame, which is the base of the bed. Measure the mattress to ensure the proper fit into the frame. Screw the headboard and footboard to the side rails.
Adhere the struts to the frame to support the mattress boards. Cut the sideboards to size and connect to the rails. Construct a tailgate from the footboard complete with hinges to allow the door to open/close.
Choose paint that's lead free, easy to clean and in bright colors for the fire engine bed. Paint the bed after assembly to eliminate missing any potions of the bed. Put on handles or knobs for drawers and the tailgate door.
Add other decorative components of a fire engine to the bed such as a ladder, steering wheel, silver painted horns, reflectors and a light bar. Check all safety features.
Tips and warnings
- The supplies list is usually available with the plans. Many bed building lists also provides helpful tips and tricks of the trade for building a fire engine bed.
- Use wood glue or another acceptable non-toxic adhesive to strengthen and support the construction.
- When building a bed, nails are dangerous, screws are safer and easier to use for this type of project.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for