Soy candles are some of the best candles on the market. They last longer than wax candles and tend to burn with a cleaner scent. Instead of purchasing expensive soy candles try your hand at making them. The amount of money you save will make the effort worth your while.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Soy candle wax
- Glass container with wide mouth
- Fragrance oil
- Wax dye
- Double boiler
Purchase the required products. There are online retailers (see Resources) that sell candle making supplies in bulk. If this is your first venture into making soy candles purchase a small amount of each item on the list. If you like your creation you can always order more. When purchasing small amounts, check with your local craft store for the items on the list.
Place water in the bottom portion of a double boiler and bring it to a boil. You need to use a double boiler to keep the wax from burning. If you don't have a double boiler you can make one by finding a bowl that will sit partially down into your pan.
Place the wick in the bottom of the container. Mason jars which are usually used for canning make great containers for soy candles. Crocks also make great containers for candles. If you are planning on giving the candle away as a gift, consider purchasing a container that can be reused after the candle has been spent.
Add the wax to the top part of the double boiler and let it begin to melt. As the wax melts, add the wax dye and fragrant oil to the double boiler. Wax is always darker before it cools, so you may need to add more dye depending how you want your candle to turn out. When adding fragrance, use the amount suggested on the bottle. Using too much could cause your candle to burn improperly.
Pour the wax into the container and allow to set for several hours. If you are placing a lid on the container let the wax cool completely before covering the candle. In most cases the candle will need to set overnight before it can be lit. Before lighting trim the wick to 1/2 inch above the top of the candle.
Tips and warnings
- If you have purchased a wick with a metal piece on the end you can secure it in place with a touch of superglue. Use the end of a pencil to get the metal piece centred in the bottom of the container.
- There are many types of fragrance but fragrance oils work the best with soy candles. These fragrances can be purchased in containers as small as 56.7gr.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Place candle on a surface that will not be damaged by heat.
- Trim wick often to prevent smoking.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for