The product of pulverised fermented apples, apple cider vinegar has long been used as a natural treatment for acne. When applied topically, the acetic and alpha-hydroxy acids in apple cider vinegar attack bacteria and help dry out blemishes. It’s believed that apple cider vinegar helps detoxify the body when taken internally, therefore promoting clear skin. Although this has never been proved scientifically, it’s been used as a detoxifying remedy for thousands of years.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Distilled or spring water
- Bentonite clay
- Green tea bags
Dilute 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/3 cup water. Soak a cotton ball with the mixture and apply directly to the blemishes. Do this each night, before bed, as apple cider vinegar doesn't smell pleasant. Wash your face in the morning.
Make an apple cider vinegar and bentonite or green clay treatment mask. Mix one part green clay with 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar. Add water until the clay becomes a thick paste. Apply the mask to your face and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the mask dries on the face. Rinse off with cold water. Bentonite clay draws toxins from your pores. When mixed with apple cider vinegar, it becomes a potent acne remedy. Use the mask once a week.
Combine the toning power of green tea with the deep cleansing properties of apple cider vinegar. To make this powerful infusion, pour 1 cup of boiling water over a green tea bag. Let the tea brew for 15 minutes. After it cools, mix the green tea with 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/3 cup distilled water. Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply directly to the acne.
Mix 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar with a glass of water. Drink as a daily health tonic. Add honey to sweeten the beverage.
Tips and warnings
- Use raw, unfiltered and unpasteurised apple cider vinegar. After using apple cider vinegar, dab tea tree oil on acne. Tea tree oil works wonders for healing skin.
- Apple cider vinegar can irritate skin when applied at full strength. If you have sensitive skin, dilute the vinegar with more water before applying it to the skin.
- Don't use in combination with other acne medications. This can cause complications and over-drying of the skin.
- See a GP if you're acne doesn't clear up within a few weeks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for