Sometimes computer programs malfunction or just don't have spell checking features available. For computer users who don't have spell checkers on their computers, online spell checkers help ensure correctly spelled electronic communications.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Choose a spell checker that incorporates grammar checks, built-in dictionaries and a thesaurus. Some websites may even allow you to manipulate text with the push of a button. For instance, proper capitalization can be achieved by choosing the function on some websites. Spellcheck.net allows you to spell check up to 20,000 words at once and the Solution Cafe's spell checker includes automatic spell-checking of medical words and a number of different languages.
Decide on a website to use for spell checking.
Follow the directions on the website to check your text for spelling errors. While some websites may require you to upload your document, it is more likely that you will be asked to cut and paste your text into a form box.
Watch for indication of misspelled words. Many websites highlight misspelled words to make them easier for you to find. Others may use something as simple as italicization to tell you that your words are not spelled correctly.
Correct misspelled words in your text. Take advantage of any functions that suggest corrected spellings so that you won't have to look up individual words yourself and correct them.
Tips and warnings
- Some online spell checkers can check entire websites for spelling errors. Websites like these ask you to input the website's URL and wait for a response.
- Avoid websites that require you to pay for spell-checking services. Many spell checking websites exist that can check your documents or text for free.
- Decide against using online spell checkers for sensitive documents. Some websites may upload the text to a public server as it checks for misspelled words.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for