Use a knife or a skill saw, or jigsaw, to carve a block of wood into a heart shape. You may decorate the heart in a myriad of ways. One choice is to leave the wood bare and let it age naturally. Other choices include painting and stencilling the heart, carving a name or "I Love You" into the heart, or decoupaging the heart with photos or words.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- A block of wood
- Carving knife, skill saw or jigsaw
Carve a heart out of a block of wood, use a skill saw, or buy a wood heart at a craft shop and decorate it. A wooden heart is a gift that will last a lifetime and be very special to the recipient.
Decide how you will finish the heart and gather your supplies. You may wish to get paint, shellac, stencils or leave the heart bare. Give yourself time to apply several coats of whatever finish you decide to use.
Let the first coat of paint or shellac dry over night. Then continue to decorate the heart.
Add a loop to hang the heart if desired by using Superglue or wood glue to add a ribbon to the top of the heart. You may also want to use a drill to add a slot to add a ribbon to the heart.
Tips and warnings
- Allow extra time for this project. As you proceed you may want to add various layers of paint or decoration so start the project early.
- Personalize the heart in some way by adding the recipient's initials, words, a date or a photo.
- Use all craft tools carefully.
- Use paint that does not create toxic fumes if you have children in the home or do this project outside.