Lavender water is a fragrant addition to any environment. It is easy to make and can be used in many ways to keep your home, car or office smelling fresh and clean. Lavender is a complex fragrance that is as popular with men as it is with women. It relaxes the nerves, can help reduce the symptoms of headache, muscle ache and stress.
Lavender is a natural antibacterial agent, and can be used safely and without the fear of harmful interactions posed by many cleansers and air fresheners. Homemade lavender water will last indefinitely, and the more you use it, the more uses you will find for this sweet smelling scented water.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Distilled water
- Vodka (inexpensive brands are OK)
- Lavender essential oil
- Spray bottle
- Small Funnel
Combine 4 cups of distilled water and 5 tbsp vodka in a non-reactive bowl.
Add 30 drops of essential oil of lavender to the lavender water mixture, being careful to avoid direct contact with your skin.
Stir the mixture. Pour mixture into a spray bottle using a small funnel. Allow mixture to blend 24 hours before using. Shake mixture vigorously before each use. Store mixture in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
Combine the lavender water mixture with equal parts vinegar for an inexpensive, all-purpose disinfectant.
When washing bedding, include mixture in the rinse cycle.
Pour mixture directly into your iron to make cloths sweet smelling, or keep nearby in a spray bottle.
Spritz lavender water onto a handkerchief or sachet and place under your pillow to help promote sound, restful sleep.
Wash hobs and microwaves with lavender water or lavender disinfectant to remove the odour of burnt food, garlic or onions.
Rinse trash containers with lavender water or lavender disinfectant to keep them smelling fresh and clean.
Use lavender water to clean your car's upholstery, carpeting, dashboard and ashtray. It will help mask the odour of stale cigarette smoke, mould and mildew.
Tips and warnings
- Unlike traditional cleansers and aerosols, lavender water leaves no sticky residue and makes an excellent, natural room freshener and cleanser.
- Lavender water can be used outdoors to clean and freshen patio furniture.
- The lavender water recipe can be doubled.
- Lavender water makes a great gift.
- Glass and ceramic bowls are both non-reactive and are effective mixing bowls for lavender water.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated substances that can cause skin reactions if not handled properly. Never allow undiluted essential oils to come into direct contact with your skin. Use a dropper (often supplied with the oil) to apply essential oils to preparations.