Baked ziti is a wonderful and satisfying Italian pasta dish. It is easy to make and will soon become one of your favourite comfort foods. Serve this dish with some garlic bread and a light green salad.
Preheat oven to 176 degrees C. Make ziti according to directions on package and drain. In a bowl, mix pasta and olive oil until pasta is well coated. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Pour pasta sauce into bowl with the pasta and oil and mix well. Spread half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish.
Mix the egg, ricotta, and Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl. Spoon this mixture over the pasta, and top with half of the mozzarella cheese. Put the remaining pasta mixture over that, spreading evenly.
Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese over the top and bake about 20 minutes till bubbling hot. Serves six.
If you are grating your own Parmesan cheese make sure the colour is even. It's dried out if the edges are darker than the middle.
Do not over cook the pasta. The additional baking will finish the pasta cooking.
Tips and warnings
- If you are grating your own Parmesan cheese make sure the colour is even. It's dried out if the edges are darker than the middle.
- Do not over cook the pasta. The additional baking will finish the pasta cooking.
Things you need
- 1 package of ziti, 454gr.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of pasta sauce, 794gr.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 170gr. mozzarella cheese
- Non-stick cooking spray