Snack time doesn't have to mean unhealthy treats. Instead of grabbing a sugary treat, try a homemade granola bar, full of healthy fiber, nutritious dried fruit and enough chocolate chips to satisfy your sweet tooth. Homemade granola bars are great for snack time or for breakfast.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Shredded wheat
- Quick cooking oatmeal
- Dried fruit of your choice
- Large eggs
- Pure vanilla extract
- Miniature chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Oil an 8-inch square baking pan or coat it with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
Put the shredded wheat, oatmeal, dried fruit, walnuts, salt and cinnamon in a food processor and set it on pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped and the dried fruit pieces are about the size of lentils.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until they're slightly fluffy, and whisk in the vanilla extract and honey. Add the miniature chocolate chips and the oatmeal mixture and stir until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared baking pan, flattening it slightly with a spatula.
Bake the granola bars for about 18 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
Leave the granola bars in the pan to cool completely before slicing. Store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Tips and warnings
- Any combination of dried fruit tastes delicious in granola bars. Try dried apricots, cranberries, grapes or raisins.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for