If you have never enjoyed a corn dog, then you may have no idea what a delicious treat you are missing out on. Traditionally, corn dogs are hot dogs served on a stick and covered in a corn meal batter. Instead of buying corn dogs from a carnival, you can make your own corn dogs at home.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Package of hot dogs
- 1 cup flour
- Baking powder
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Package of Popsicle sticks
- Vegetable oil for frying
Purchase the items that you need for your corn dogs. Pick up a package of hot dogs and Popsicle sticks. You'll also have to get the ingredients to make your batter: cornmeal, baking powder, flour, sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and milk.
Heat vegetable oil in your deep fryer to 350 degrees. If you don't have a deep fryer, you can use a large frying pan with oil to cook the corn dogs.
Prepare the corn dog batter. Sift together the flour, 2 tbs. of sugar, 1 tsp. of baking powder and a pinch of salt. Cut 2 tbs. of shortening into the cornmeal. Combine the beaten egg and the milk. Mix together all ingredients to create a thick batter.
Place sticks into bottoms of hot dogs. Coat the entire hot dog in the prepared batter by rotating the hot dog in the batter bowl.
Cook the corn dogs in the fryer for approximately 5 minutes. Place the cooked corn dogs on a plate with paper towels to drain off the excess vegetable oil.
Tips and warnings
- Provide containers of ketchup and mustard for dipping the corn dogs.
- You can purchase pre-made corn dogs from the freezer section of your grocery store. Microwave or bake these corn dogs for a quick and delicious treat.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for