Kids obsessed with all things with wheels will enjoy traffic light sandwiches. This is an ideal recipe for children who are unsure of vegetables but love cars. Make a traffic light sandwich for kids with plain whole wheat bread and an apple corer to create the circles. Fill the sandwich with the right coloured vegetables, such as lettuce, carrots and tomatoes, to complete. You will satisfy their imagination and their stomachs with a fun and nutritious meal.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Apple corer
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded carrots
- Sliced tomatoes
Cut out two columns of three circles on one piece of sliced whole wheat bread with an apple corer. You will be making two sets of traffic lights so you should have six cut out circles all together. Be sure they are evenly spaced.
Spread hummus on the other slice of whole wheat bread that is intact with a knife. This will be the base for the vegetables.
Place shredded lettuce at the bottom of the bread with hummus. Place shredded carrot in the middle of the bread and then add sliced tomato on the remaining area at the top.
Put the bread with the holes over the bread with the hummus and vegetables. Be sure that you can see the vegetables in the right areas. Red should be at the top. Orange is in the middle and green is at the bottom. If you see other colours, open up the sandwich again and move the vegetables around to make the traffic light sequence.
Slice the completed sandwich in half so the two columns are separate. It should look like two traffic lights side by side.
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with other vegetables for this recipe. You can use cucumber for green, red bell peppers for red and cheese for the yellow area.
- If your child does not like hummus, you may remove or substitute with cheese or turkey. Be sure you cannot see it through the holes.
- Use the leftover bread circles to make other objects such as tires or round cars.
- Adult supervision is needed when using an apple corer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for