Hosting a hockey party means your house fills up with hungry hockey fans looking for hockey-themed cuisine. Go ahead and wrack your brain figuring out hockey appetizers, sandwiches and drinks, but don't worry about dessert. One of the easiest and most entertaining food items you can make is an ice hockey puck cake. Use the steps below for help in making a hockey puck cake.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Cake mix
- Dark chocolate icing
- Decorator gels
- Round cake pans
Start your cake with a round nine inch pan. For a double layer cake, use two nine inch pans.
Bake the cake according to package directions and cool it completely. Prepare your cake stand or presentation tray while the cake cools. Make edible hockey stick decorations for the tray with pirouette cookies and Vienna fingers.
Ice your hockey puck cake with dark chocolate icing and make it as smooth as possible. Choose a complimentary cream filling if making a layered cake or use the dark chocolate for icing and filling.
Decorate the cake with your favorite team's logo using colored gel icing. For a simpler design, use white and black gels and draw the NHL shield.
Finish the puck cake with hockey stick candles, team logo picks or edible team logo transfers.
Tips and warnings
- Use chocolate ganache for a smooth, dark finish on the cake.
- Create individual hockey puck cakes using a muffin pan. Cut the muffins in half to flatten them, icing and decorating as directed above.
- For details on how to make chocolate ganache, see the related eHow article titled "How to Make Chocolate Ganache."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for