Making puppets is a fun craft that you can do with your kids, and it's easy on the budget too. Wooden spoons make great puppets because they are the perfect shape. Make these puppets, then watch as your kids put on their very own puppet show.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Wooden spoons
- Acrylic paints
- Embroidery thread
- Pipe cleaners
Paint the head of the wooden spoon whatever color you would like the head to be and set the spoon handle down into a jar to dry. Then paint the handle of the spoon with a different color.
Set the spoon head side down into clay to let the handle dry.
Draw polka dots, buttons, strips or any other designs onto the handle of the spoon with different colors to decorate it. Put the spoon in the clay, and let it dry.
Tie a small piece of fabric around the neck in a bow if you desire or draw a necklace or bowtie on the spoon.
Make a face for the head. Paint bangs onto the puppet if you want. Put the spoon into a jar to dry.
Cut about 15 pieces of embroidery thread the same length, and tie a shorter piece around the middle of the threads to keep them together when making a girl. You can also use yarn or pipe cleaners for hair for a boy or girl puppet. Glue the hair onto the top of the head, and then let it dry.
Tie ribbons into the hair, if creating a female puppet. Glue the ribbon into place.
Tips and warnings
- Find inexpensive wooden spoons at dollar stores.
- Put rubber bands on the hair to keep it in place as it dries.
- Don't use too much glue, or it can take forever to dry and leave a lot of residue.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for