A collection of wine can be something to admire. A collection of wine in a wine rack that you built yourself can be something to brag about. The great thing about building your own wine rack is that you have to freedom to design the wine rack any way you desire. Building a wine rack is an easy and enjoyable project.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Determine the size of the wine rack. Some wine racks can fit on a kitchen counter so your favorite wine is handy, while others stand like bookshelves to show off a collection of wine.
Design the wine rack to hold the bottles horizontally. This keeps the cork wet and keeps debris out of the neck of the bottle.
Construct the depth of the wine rack to at least seven inches. The deeper the wine rack, the less likely the ends of the bottles will stick out, and the steadier the wine rack.
Determine how many bottles you plan to store. There are two different ways store wine bottles: in a diamond shaped slot or a flat box like slot.
Design your rack with large box like slots or diamond shaped slots to accommodate several bottles in one slot. This saves space when you have a lot of bottles and little space.
Make slots that accommodate only one bottle at a time. This makes the bottles easier to access.
Secure the joints for their intended weight. Screw holes into the wood before applying the screw to prevent cracking the wood.
Tips and warnings
- Have fun with the project. Design a unique wine rack that will make your friends envious.
- If you cannot think of a nifty design, buy a wine rack kit. There are many designs to choose from and you are still building your own rack.
- Add slots for wine glasses to save more space.
- When building slots to hold multiple bottles, make sure your slots, along with the rack itself, are able to support the weight of full bottles.
- If storing in a cellar, make sure the wood can endure the environment.