Nudist beaches can be found in most countries around the world and their popularity is on the rise. Portugal has a handful of official nude beaches although there are several more where being nude is commonplace and acceptable.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Use a search engine or tourist website such as "Tripadvisor" (see Resources). Read reviews on naturalist beaches in the area you are travelling to.
Locate Praia do Meco beach in Sesimbra which is the most popular nudist beach in Portugal. Officially recognised as a naturist beach, it is located near to Lagoa de Albufeira, south of the capital Lisbon and is easy to reach via public transport.
Travel to Praia de Adegas in Aljezur and you will arrive at another officially recognised nude beach. The beach features its own lifeguard and is cleaned regularly. You can access the cove at low-tide by navigating your way around an area of rocky headland or alternatively use the steep wooden steps leading down to the beach.
Take the train from Praia do Barril or a boat fro Tavira's docks to the nudist beach in Praia do Homem Nu. The train costs around 2 euros per person and runs regularly.
Travel to Bela Vista on the west coast if you are looking for a wide beach with plenty of spots to sunbathe. The parking here is free of charge and the beach runs for a good couple of miles down the coastline. Bela Vista is an officially recognised nudist beach.
Research unofficial nudist beaches where naturism is acceptable. These beaches are likely to be much less crowded and cleaner providing a more satisfying experience. For example, Praia do Zavial in Sagres is popular with surfers and even has a lifeguard in the summer.
Tips and warnings
- There are several official nudist beaches and unofficial naturalist beaches where nudism is acceptable which are not mentioned in this article. For a better idea of where you would like to go, do a little bit of local research to find out the most desirable locations.
- You should always wear sunscreen or an appropriate suncream while sunbathing to prevent the risk of sunburn and skin cancer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for