Many people use their computer's system clock as a primary timepiece, especially if they spend the lion's share of the day in front of a computer. A few minutes error one way or the other on the PC's clock could make you late for appointments or mean you waste time turning up for meetings early. If you're a bit of a stickler for punctuality, spend a couple minutes ensuring your computer's clock is bang on.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Search "Date" or select "Settings" from the Windows Start screen, and then tap or click "Set the time and date."
Click or tap on the "Change date and time" button in the pop-up window. You can alter your system clock by using the arrows at the side of the digital readout here or by typing the correct time into the box. Once you've done this, click "OK." You can also change your system date by selecting day, month and year information from the calendar box.
Click or tap the "Change time zone" button in the Date and Time window if you're travelling and need to alter your system time. Click the arrow in the drop-down box to view a list of time zones. Make sure the "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time" box is checked if you want your computer's clock to change when the hour goes back or forward in your time zone. Click or tap "OK" when you've finished.
Tips and warnings
- Select the "Internet Time" tab from your computer's Date and Time window to set your system clock to automatically update over the internet. Most PCs come with this function activated by default. If your clock isn't set to synchronise, hit the "Change settings" button, check the "Synchronise with an Internet time server" box and select the Windows time server from the drop-down menu. Click or tap "Update now" to connect your PC to the Windows time server.
- You may experience errors with some apps and websites if your system time is incorrect.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for