Originating from North East England, the Stottie cake is also known as oven "bottom bread," "stotties" or "stotty." This dense round bread is famous for its doughy consistency and heavy bottom, sturdy enough to hold a filling of eggs and bacon, ham or sausage while also soaking up meat juices without becoming soggy.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 800g/6.5 cups flour
- 20g/3 tsp salt
- 30g/ 1/8 cup Olive Oil
- 9g/2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 pkts (11g each) quick acting yeast
- 500ml - 17 fl ozs of equal amounts milk/water (lukewarm)
- Large circular cutters, 12cm/5in in diameter
Prepare the yeast mixture. Mix the lukewarm water and milk together, then add the quick acting yeast and sugar. Cover with plastic film and place in a warm place for about 10 minutes. You will know the yeast has activated once the mixture produces a frothy top.
Place the flour and salt in a large bowl, pour in the olive oil. Create a well to prepare for the yeast mixture.
Once the yeast, milk and water mixture is ready, slowly pour in the centre of all the dry ingredients where you have made a well. Mix together so that it forms a dough ball.
Knead the dough until smooth. You can either use a mixer with a hook, or kneed by hand for about 20 minutes.
Place into a floured bowl, cover, and set in a warm place for at least an hour. The dough will double in size.
Roll the dough about 2.5cm (1 inch) thick. cut out the dough into circular shapes with a round cut out. Place each round dough on a floured baking sheet, prick with a fork, and place in a warm spot so it rises again and doubles in size.
While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 200 C (400F). Once the dough has risen, bake in the oven for about 10 to12 minutes, or until the top is lightly brown. Cool before slicing and serving.
Preparing the dough
Tips and warnings
- In some parts of Northern England, local fish and chip shops would sell "stottie dip," an affordable hearty fast food that consisted of a stottie dipped in a meat-based gravy, wrapped in chip paper.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for