What would rat poison do to a human?

Written by suzie faloon
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
What would rat poison do to a human?
All poisons are life-threatening, toxic materials. (poison symbol image by patrimonio designs from Fotolia.com)

Rat poison is highly toxic for humans and their pets. It is crucial that anyone considering the use of rat poison to rid a property of the rodent fully understand the dangers of the product.

Other People Are Reading

Anticoagulant

Rat poison has the effect of a blood thinner or anticoagulant. The blood is unable to clot normally and the result is fatal. When a human comes in contact with the toxic particles, the poison will have the same blood-thinning effect. Humans may inadvertently inhale the substance or touch it when setting the poison out.

Symptoms

Rat poison may cause a human to have pale gums, a bloody nose, bruising and bloody urine and stools, which are signs that blood is not clotting properly. A child or adult exhibiting these signs should be taken for immediate emergency medical treatment.

Prevention/Solution

Treatment for poison includes high doses of vitamin K and possible blood transfusions. Be aware that some rat poisons have no known treatments, according to Orkin LLC. Consider hiring a professional exterminator or use extreme caution when using over-the-counter rat poison. Be warned that a naturally curious child may discover, play with and/or ingest the sweet-tasting ingredients in rat poison.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.