Blonde highlights are beautiful, bright and eye-catching when they are new. However, the brightness is usually short-lived. Highlights fade with time due to product build-up and environmental pollutants. The highlights are still there, you just cannot see them as well through the dulling build-up. While you cannot protect your hair from the materials that cause fading, you can protect your colour and maintain vibrant highlights with a few simple steps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Colour-enhancing shampoo and conditioner
- Powder clarifying treatment
- Colour bottle
- Warm water
- Plastic cap
Comb or brush the hair before shampooing to loosen styling product and remove debris from the hair. Saturate the hair with warm water.
Pour out a nickel-sized amount of colour-enhancing shampoo into your hand. Rub your hands together to distribute the product evenly on the palms of your hands. Work the product through the hair and massage into a deep lather. Rinse completely.
Pour a nickel-sized amount of colour-enhancing conditioner. Work the product through the hair. Wait five minutes before rinsing. Rinse with warm water, towel dry and style as desired.
Shampoo the hair using colour-enhancing shampoo. Towel dry and comb the hair to remove tangles. Open the clarifying treatment packet, and dump the contents into the colour bottle. Add 59.1ml. of warm water, close the lid and shake to mix.
Saturate the hair with the clarifying treatment by squeezing the mixture onto the hair and working it through the hair with your hands and fingers. Place the plastic cap on the head and set the timer for 15 minutes.
Remove the plastic cap and rinse the hair thoroughly. Apply a generous amount of colour-enhancing conditioner to the hair. Wait five minutes before rinsing. Rinse with warm water and towel dry. Style as desired or follow with a deep-conditioning treatment.
Tips and warnings
- Follow clarifying treatments with a deep-conditioning treatment to prevent the hair from drying out.
- If the clarifying treatment that you select requires heat, place a damp bath towel in the microwave and heat until it becomes warm to the touch. Wrap the towel around the head on top of the plastic cap to activate the treatment.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for