Why are Honeysuckle Plants Poisonous to Dogs?

Written by elizabeth tumbarello
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Why are Honeysuckle Plants Poisonous to Dogs?
Toxic qualities negate the charm of these beautiful plants for pet owners. (Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of B Balaji)

Honeysuckle is listed on nearly every list of plants that is toxic to pets. This alone is enough to deter most dog owners from allowing their pet to chow down on the plant. In some cases, it can be helpful to know exactly the reason honeysuckle is considered toxic.

Other People Are Reading

Identification

Honeysuckle exists in many varieties. Most are toxic to humans, although a few have edible berries or nectar. They are all, without exception, considered toxic to dogs.

Types

Two types of toxins specific to the honeysuckle family make this plant unsuitable for canine consumption: saponic glycosides and cyanogenic glycosides.

Saponic Glycosides

Saponic glycosides, when mixed with water, create a permanent frothing effect. They can cause not only stomach upset or rupture but also the rupture of blood cells, leading to inadequate oxygen supply throughout the body.

Cyanogenic glycosides

Cyanogenic glycosides are turned into the chemical hydrogen cyanide, a powerful poison, when ingested.

Treatment

Emergency veterinary care should be sought immediately. Ingestion of vomit is not recommended.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.