Colophony, commonly known as rosin, is a sap from pine or spruce trees. People allergic to colophony may experience asthma or acute allergic contact dermatitis.
Other People Are Reading
Colophony allergy is caused by an overreactive immune system, which emits antibodies to fight harmless substances in contact with the skin or lungs. These antibodies cause irritation.
Inhaling rosin dust can cause asthma or other trouble breathing in an allergic person. Contact with the skin can lead to acute allergic contact dermatitis, an itchy skin rash at the site where the allergen touched the skin.
Many products contain colophony, including make-up, adhesives (Scotch tape and bandages, for instance), paper products, household cleaners, first-aid ointment, and the rosin used for string instruments.
The only treatment for colophony allergy is avoiding products containing colophony. Wear gloves when handling cleaning products, avoid sawdust from pine and related trees, and inspect products at home and work for possible allergens.
Colophony is also known as tall oil, resin terebinthinae, abietyl alcohol, abietic alcohol, abietic acid, and methyl abietate alcohol.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for