The Effects of Mold on Health

Updated February 21, 2017

Mold is a problem that can cause some serious health effect for people who are exposed to it. Mold consists of small spores that grow in places of moisture and usually live in dark areas, such as in the walls or under carpet. If you begin to get any of these signs, you should see your doctor as this may be a sign of mould sickness

Respiratory Illness

Mold can cause serious respiratory problems in people who are exposed to it. Mold is responsible for several different breathing disorders. A person who is affected by mould may begin to cough up blood or black debris. They can be prone to sudden asthma attacks, chronic sneezing, and bronchitis. This is caused by the mould spores entering your lungs, which will begin to irritate the mucus membranes, keeping your lungs from working properly.

Gastrointestinal Illness

Mold also affects the mucus membranes in the stomach. A person with mould sickness may experience several issues related to their gastrointestinal system. One of the most common gastrointestinal symptoms is horrible nausea. The nausea can be followed by vomiting and diarrhoea. Finally, mould may cause a person to have a loss of appetite and rapid weight loss.

Skin Issues

When mould spores land on your skin, they can cause massive problems. The first sign of any mould irritation is itchy and red skin. If exposure to the mould spores continues, the skin redness may turn into a serious rash. If left untreated, open sores may begin to show up on the skin.

Other Illness

There are a host of other illnesses which come from exposure to mould. With short exposure, you may begin to develop eye issues such as red or watery eyes. Also, you may begin to experience headaches. Further exposure to mould will cause your headaches to get more frequent and increase in intensity. You may begin to get nosebleeds. Mold also causes a feeling of fatigue, hair loss, short-term memory loss, hair loss and muscle pain. There have also been several neurological and nervous disorders, which stem from a prolonged exposure to the spores.

Serious Illness

If you are in presence of mould for an extremely long period of time, you may be affected with very serious health problems. The watery and red eyes can continue to get worse which can lead to blindness. Your respiratory issues can begin to cause you lungs to bleed. Your short term memory loss can become long term memory loss accompanied with brain damage. Finally, mould spores can cause cancer and, in some cases, death.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

R.L. Cultrona is a San Diego native and a graduate of San Diego State University. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in theater, television and film with a minor in communications and political science. She began writing online instructional articles in June 2009.