How to stop claiming Job Seeker's Allowance

Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images News/Getty Images

Jobseeker's Allowance is a benefit administered by the Department of Work and Pensions through the Job Centre network that is paid to people who are unemployed or who work less than 16 hours a week, and are actively seeking work. There are two types -- contributions-based for those who, during their working lives have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions, and Income-based, a means-tested benefit for those who do not qualify for contributions-based Jobseeker's Allowance. There are several methods that you can use to stop receiving Jobseeker's Allowance.

Telephone your local Job Centre. Inform them of your desire to stop receiving Jobseeker's Allowance. They will ask you for a reason. Usually, individuals stop receiving the benefit because they have found work of more than 16 hours per week. However, relocation abroad is another cause.

Fill out the form that is inside the back of your signing-on book (the document which records the payments you have received and which you sign in the presence of a Job Centre adviser at your fortnightly meeting). This form also requires you to cite a reason for stop the benefit. Mail the completed form to your local Job Centre; they should contact you to confirm the cancellation.

Do not attend your fortnightly meeting with an adviser at the Job Centre. If you fail to turn up, your claim for the benefit will lapse and the Job Centre will contact you to enquire about your absence. This is not the preferred method of stopping receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance as it may complicate matters if you wish to claim again in the future.

Most recent