How to Stop a Budgie from Throwing Out Its Eggs
Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
A budgie hen may throw her eggs out of the nest for several reasons. In essence, the bird is rejecting the egg and refusing to expend anymore energy on it. The mother may believe the egg is defective or infertile, a sense that laying hens soon pick up after laying several times.
The bird may also have noticed human scent on it. It is extremely easy for a budgie owner to accidentally leave its smell on eggs and terminate the laying process, making it important to avoid handling the eggs with bare hands.
- A budgie hen may throw her eggs out of the nest for several reasons.
- It is extremely easy for a budgie owner to accidentally leave its smell on eggs and terminate the laying process, making it important to avoid handling the eggs with bare hands.
Inspect the eggs that have been thrown out. Look for defects in the egg. A hen will throw out abnormal eggs because it doesn't want to waste energy on eggs that won't hatch.
Place a small desk drawer or a box of similar dimensions inside the laying area. The high sides of the drawer will prevent the hen from pushing out the eggs. Wear gloves when handling the box to avoid leaving your scent on it.
- Place a small desk drawer or a box of similar dimensions inside the laying area.
Fill the drawer with used clothing to keep the eggs warm. Place the laid eggs in the drawer. Again, wear gloves to contain your scent.
Set another nest box inside the laying area. When a hen lays in that box, transfer the eggs into the drawer.
- Avoid all contact with the eggs. The hen will throw them out of the nest if it smells human scent.
- Do not have the parents of the laying hen in the same cage, as they may push the eggs out of the nest.
Clayton Yuetter has worked as a professional writer since 1999. His writing has appeared in many journals and websites such as The Milk House, The Country Folks, Progressive Dairyman and Three Times Daily. He received a Master of Arts in writing at the National University of Ireland, Galway.