How to Remove Wrinkles From Polyester Curtains
Polyester is a durable fabric that has a smooth feel to it. Curtains that are made of 100% polyester are easy to care for. They are stain-resistant and they don't stretch out of shape or shrink. Polyester curtains are also wrinkle-resistant. Still, they can, and do, crease, especially when they are new in the package.
There are three different ways to remove wrinkles from polyester curtains. Choose the method that best matches the care instructions and gets the job done.
- Polyester is a durable fabric that has a smooth feel to it.
- They are stain-resistant and they don't stretch out of shape or shrink.
Place the curtains in the washing machine. Add mild detergent--no bleach--and use cold water. Choose the "gentle" cycle. Remove the curtains immediately when the washer stops. Hold them by their tops and shake them out. Hang them to dry.
- Place the curtains in the washing machine.
- Remove the curtains immediately when the washer stops.
Set up an ironing board and plug in an iron. Choose the "warm" heat setting; some irons may have a setting for polyester. Iron the curtains until they are wrinkle-free.
Remove the wrinkles from the curtains with a fabric steamer. Hold the steam nozzle towards the curtain. Start at the bottom at the left edge. Slowly move the nozzle upwards until you reach the top. Move the nozzle over and repeat the process until the entire curtain has been steamed. If any wrinkles remain, steam the polyester again.
- Read and follow the instructions on the curtain's care tag for the best results.
- You can add fabric softener to the rinse cycle in the washing machine to help remove wrinkles.
- Never use a hot iron or a high heat setting on polyester curtains.
Kayar Sprang has been a professional freelance writer and researcher since 1999. She has had articles published by clients like Kraft Foods, "Woman's Day" magazine and Mom Junction. Sprang specializes in subjects she has expertise in, including gardening and home improvement. She lives on and maintains a multi-acre farm.