How Can I Tell If My Dog Ate Insulation?

Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

Insulation is commonly found in the walls of your home and roof and can be very poisonous to pets. If your dog has eaten insulation, he is at risk for many medial problems up to and including death. There are several things that you need to look for to able to tell if he has consumed insulation and certain steps that you need to do to prevent further injury. The number one thing to remember is to stay calm, then document the symptoms so you can report your findings to your vet.

Watch of diarrhoea and vomiting. These are the first signs that something is wrong with your pet. These side effects usually start within the first few hours of your dog consuming insulation. You may be able to tell right away if visible pieces of the insulation are present in the vomit or stool.

Observe your dog for signs of lethargy. Lethargy is another sign of insulation poisoning and usually appears after your dog has had vomiting or diarrhoea. Lethargy will be noticeable around 12 to 24 hours after consumption. You pet will seem to not be interested in anything and just want to sleep.

Look for signs of polydipsia, also know as excessive thirst. This symptom will show up right around the same time as the lethargy. When a pet consumes something he or she should not, they tend to get very dehydrated and thirsty. If you notice your pet drinking more than usual, also document this. You will want all the information you can have in case a trip to the vet is warranted.

Check for a swollen tongue, excessive salvation and seizures. Dogs who have consumed excessive amounts of insulation may also exhibt these symptoms. If your pet starts showing any of these signs, it is time to go to an emergency vet. This means the toxins are not passing and death may be imminent.

Monitor for signs of blood in your dog's vomit or stool. The fibres in the insulation can cause your pet to become blocked. Blocked means they will not be able to defecate. They may also have intestinal perforations. If an intestinal perforation occurs, it can lead to the dog going into septic shock.

Contact poison control. Death can occur from your dog consuming insulation. This is the final stage and can happen within 24 hours depending on the amount consumed. In any case where you feel you pet has consumed insulation you should contact poison control and take him or her to the vet for monitoring and a checkup.

Most recent