How to Paint an Asphalt Floor
If you have asphalt floors, you can paint the tiles to give the room a new look. Asphalt floors are typically constructed from tiles and are painted in the same manner as other types of flooring, such as wood. Unlike wood, asphalt tiles must be painted with a latex paint.
Oil products, like oil-based paints, can cause the asphalt to soften and become soggy. Some asphalt tiles contain asbestos, so have yours checked out by a professional before you begin painting to ensure you don't need to remove them.
Wipe away any dust or dirt with a damp sponge. Let the floor dry. Do not sand the surface of the floor. Some asphalt tiles contain asbestos and sanding the tile might release asbestos fibres into the air.
- If you have asphalt floors, you can paint the tiles to give the room a new look.
- Some asphalt tiles contain asbestos and sanding the tile might release asbestos fibres into the air.
Apply blue painter's tape along the base of the wall to keep paint off your wall or baseboards.
Apply the base coat along the edge of the floor with a 2 1/2-inch paintbrush. Apply the base coat paint colour to the rest of the floor with a paint roller. Cover the entire floor. Let it dry completely.
Draw a design on the floor, if desired, with a ruler and pencil. Use blue painter's tape to tape off the pattern or design. Mark any areas that do not receive paint with a tape X.
- Apply blue painter's tape along the base of the wall to keep paint off your wall or baseboards.
Lightly sand the surface of any areas to be painted, using a sanding sponge. Sand just enough to rough up the surface. Wipe the area with a damp rag to remove any dust. Leave the area to dry completely.
Paint the areas in your design with a paintbrush. Let the floor dry completely overnight.
Apply polyurethane smoothly and evenly across the floor, using a roller, or flood the floor with the polyurethane and smooth it out evenly with the roller. Leave the polyurethane to dry overnight or per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Lightly sand the surface of any areas to be painted, using a sanding sponge.
- Wipe the area with a damp rag to remove any dust.
- Because of the absorbent nature of asphalt flooring, the floor may require multiple coats of each paint colour.
- Always apply the lightest paint colour first.
- Wear a respirator or mask while painting asphalt floors.
Sienna Condy began writing professionally in 2001 while attending the University of Cincinnati, and she's been at it ever since. Since graduating, she's written everything from marketing materials to articles on removing stains. Today, she enjoys writing about weddings, legal issues, science, health and parenting.