How to Make Concrete Pillar Caps
concrete column image by Dumitrescu Ciprian from Fotolia.com
A pillar cap is placed on top of a brick pillar as a decorative and useful finish. A column may look bare if there is no cap on it. Some homeowners place lights on top of the brick columns and the caps are used to cover the lights. Simple column caps that are shaped like pyramids can be made from wooden moulds .
More detailed and shapely column caps can be made in foam. These caps give brick columns a finished look.
- A pillar cap is placed on top of a brick pillar as a decorative and useful finish.
- More detailed and shapely column caps can be made in foam.
Place a large pile of sand on a table.
Cut the plywood into four equal triangle shapes. Carefully tape the four pieces of plywood together so that they make a point at the tip. The end result is an open pyramid.
Take the wood mould and press it into the sand on the table. This creates an impression in the sand of an upside down pyramid.
Leave the wooden mould in the sand to help keep the mould stable. In a bucket, mix concrete with water to make a peanut butter like paste.
- Cut the plywood into four equal triangle shapes.
- Leave the wooden mould in the sand to help keep the mould stable.
Spray non-stick cooking oil in the wooden mould and pour the concrete mix inside.
Let the concrete set for three to four days. Take the wood mould out and shake out the concrete cap.
Line the brick column with landscape adhesive and then place the concrete cap on top. Let set for 24 hours.
- Measure the width and length of the brick column outside first. Make your wooden mould accordingly so that concrete cap will fit over the column.
- Be sure to wear gloves and work in a well ventilated area.
Reha Vai began working as a research assistant in 2001. She was credited for her research and was published in BioMed Central in 2005. Vai has written reading goals for Supplemental Education services for No Child Left Behind. She holds a bachelor's degree in biology from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst.