How to Reset the Security Code of a Toyota Factory Stereo
Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
Toyota car stereos are equipped with an antitheft feature that requires a four-digit access code. The feature is activated whenever the head unit is disconnected from the power source. After repairs or replacement, you will need to reset the access security code before operation of the stereo is possible.
You can take the Toyota to an authorised Toyota dealership or service station to have the code reset, or you can do it yourself and save time.
- Toyota car stereos are equipped with an antitheft feature that requires a four-digit access code.
- After repairs or replacement, you will need to reset the access security code before operation of the stereo is possible.
Turn the Toyota's ignition to the "On" position to provide power to the stereo.
Turn on the stereo head unit by pressing the power button located at the top-left corner of the stereo's face.
Press and hold the first preset button (marked with a "1") and the arrow up button on the left side of the stereo's face. Release the buttons once the series of dashes appear on the stereo's display.
Press the numbered preset button corresponding with the first number of the stereo code. For example, if the security code starts with "4," press the fourth preset button below the stereo display. Press the right arrow to move to the next digit in the code. Enter the remaining digits using the preset buttons. The radio will power off when the last correct digit is entered. Press the power button to use the stereo.
- Press the numbered preset button corresponding with the first number of the stereo code.
- Press the right arrow to move to the next digit in the code.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 if the stereo does not accept the code you have entered. You have three chances to enter a correct code. After three unsuccessful attempts you will need to take your vehicle to a dealership or service station to have the stereo unlocked.
- "Toyota 4Runner Auto Repair Manual, 2003-2009"; Haynes; 2010
- You can obtain your stereo security code from the original owner's manual or through the dealership with proper identification.
Jule Pamplin has been a copywriter for more than seven years. As a financial sales consultant, Pamplin produced sales copy for two of the largest banks in the United States. He attended Carnegie-Mellon University, winning a meritorious scholarship for the Careers in Applied Science and Technology program, and later served in the 1st Tank Battalion of the U.S. Marine Corps.