How to steam clean blinds
venetian blind. image by guiney from Fotolia.com
Dust tends to accumulate on blinds, particularly horizontal blinds. If dust is allowed to build up on the blinds in your home, it can become airborne when you adjust the blinds. Household dust can trigger allergy and asthma symptoms so you should clean your blinds on a regular basis.
A damp cloth will work for touch-up cleaning. For a more thorough cleaning, a steam cleaning unit can be used. Hot steamer vapours not only lift dust, but also kill dust mites and mould.
Fill the steam cleaner with water using a funnel. Be careful not to overfill the reservoir. Consult your owner's manual to determine if your model requires distilled water.
- Dust tends to accumulate on blinds, particularly horizontal blinds.
- Household dust can trigger allergy and asthma symptoms so you should clean your blinds on a regular basis.
Connect the brush attachment to the steam hose if your model accepts attachments. For most models, this involves sliding the attachment onto the end of the hose.
Plug the steamer into an outlet and turn the unit on. Wait until the steamer is ready to produce steam. Heat-up time varies by model. It usually takes 10 minutes or less for the steamer to begin producing steam.
Pre-test a hidden area to make sure the steamer will not damage or discolour the blinds. Fabric and vinyl blinds are more prone to damage than wood or metal blinds.
- Connect the brush attachment to the steam hose if your model accepts attachments.
Move the brush across the blinds allowing the steam to loosen the dust. Start cleaning at the top of the blinds and work down using smooth, steady strokes from one side to the other. Move rapidly when cleaning vinyl blinds.
Wipe any dust and moisture remaining on the blinds with a clean cloth or towel.
Rotate the blinds and clean the other side using the brush attachment. Wipe this side of the blinds with a cloth or towel.
Monitor the water level. The steamer will stop producing steam when the reservoir is empty. Refill the steamer when necessary. Be sure to allow the steamer to cool completely before refilling the unit. Depending on your particular model, cooling time make be 15 minutes or more.
- Move the brush across the blinds allowing the steam to loosen the dust.
- Be sure to allow the steamer to cool completely before refilling the unit.
- If your model does not accept attachments, you can still steam the blinds to kill any mould and dust mites that are present. Use a clean cloth to wipe the blinds after loosening the dirt with the steamer.
- The steam cleaner parts, water and steam can cause burns. Keep the unit upright at all times to prevent burns from dripping water. Always direct the steam away from yourself, other people or pets. Unplug the steam cleaner before filling it with water.
Based in Texas, Elizabeth Smith has been writing since 1998. She has written manuals, course materials, technical guides and reports covering topics such as application development and deployment, design patterns, Web services, security, software installation and OS configuration. Smith has also written family health, home and travel articles for Trails, eHow, and AnswerBag.