Revamp your exhausted wardrobe without the hassle of shopping or spending hundreds of dollars on new clothes---all you need is dye! Expertise not required; colour dull red clothing a chic, fashionable black at home, using just a few simple tools and techniques.
Put on rubber gloves and smock.
In the mixing bowl, combine 2 cups hot water with 113gr. of dye. Stir with plastic mixing spoon until concentrated mixture is even.
In the metal bucket, combine concentrated dye mixture with three gallons of hot water. Stir until even, creating a dye bath.
Dampen red clothing under running water. Smooth clothing out and submerge it in the dye bath.
Stir clothing continuously in dye bath for 10 to 30 minutes, until clothing is saturated.
Remove clothing from dye bath and rinse it with warm water. Gradually reduce the temperature of the water, and continue rinsing until the water runs clear.
Machine wash clothing in warm water, using a mild detergent.
Hand rinse clothing in cold water.
Machine dry clothing on a low temperature setting, or hang dry if material is delicate.
Immediately clean bucket, bowl and mixing spoon with chlorine-based cleaner.
- Wear disposable clothing, in case of accidental spills.
- Avoid accidental dyeing of hair by securing long hair with a tie or under a shower cap.
- Dye is available online or at your local grocery or chemist.
- Dye clothing outside if possible, to avoid staining household items or floors.
- Dye clothing in a well-ventilated area to prevent fumes.