Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images
A jigsaw puzzle is a compelling presentation tool. By piecing together the parts or your project, organisation or product in PowerPoint, you help make a critical point to your audience. While you can assemble and animate shapes, PowerPoint makes it easy to download a template that uses the jigsaw metaphor. This way, you can use the idea of a jigsaw quickly and easily in your presentation.
Download a template that uses a jigsaw puzzle (full link in Resources).
Open PowerPoint and select "New" from the File Tab.
Select "My Templates" from the Available Templates and Themes. Select the template just downloaded, and then the "OK" button.
Begin building your presentation using the jigsaw metaphor, adjusting the colours of the puzzle as you build your slides.
Save the file by pressing the "Save" icon and providing a name for the file.
- Cover the slide with joined puzzle pieces by filling several copies of the jigsaw puzzle picture on the slide, ungrouping the pieces and deleting any unwanted pieces.
- Select the jigsaw puzzle in PowerPoint 2007 through the "Clip Art" function under the "Insert" section in the top menu bar. Type puzzle in the "Search" field to display a gallery of pictures. The above puzzle is the first picture displayed.
- Insert a photo into a puzzle piece by right-clicking the puzzle piece and selecting "Format Autoshape." Select the tab, "Colors and Lines" and click the palette under "Fill Color." Choose the "Fill Effects" and select the "Picture" tab. Click the "Select Picture" button to select a photo and click the "Open" button. Click the "OK" button twice to save these settings.
- Consider animating each piece to fly out or to dissolve by accessing the "Custom Animation" function under "Slide Show" in the top menu bar.
- Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images