George Foreman grills are a popular way to easily cook a variety of food while cutting the fat. A slanted Teflon coated cooking surface is electrically heated to cook the food, with the fats draining into a spill tray below. Like similar electronic devices, the George Foreman grill contains delicate components prone to certain defects.
Conclude whether or not the repair is actually just a simple fix. Check that the outlet the George Foreman grill is plugged into is compatible to 230 volts. If it is not, the grill isn't compatible with the UK domestic electric supply. Bin the grill and buy one suitable for use in the UK.
Review the condition of the electrical cord itself. Chewed, strained, and otherwise frayed wires are a common cause of product failure. To repair, unplug the grill from the electrical socket. Next strip the insulation back 1.3 cm (1/2 inch) with the wire cutters and trim any unusable wire. Splice the wires back together using a crimp or a wire-nut, and use electrical tape to cover the repair.
Decide if the problem lies inside the device. Put the George Foreman grill on a clear and clean work surface. The grill is secured together by a number of tamper-resistant torx security screws. Using a compatible screwdriver, remove each of the screws. Pull the exterior shell pieces apart at the seams and set aside.
Look for a small thermal fuse on the brown live wire. Overheating inside the George Foreman Grill can cause the single-use thermal fuse to break, requiring a new fuse. Contact an electronic parts wholesaler to order replacement fuses. Replace the dead fuse with a new 240 degrees C (464 degrees F) fuse.
Inspect the soldering on the circuit boards. Cold solder joints cause a burnout on the circuit board, preventing connection and rendering the grill inoperable. Cold solder joints can be identified by a grainy dull exterior. Use the soldering iron to heat the cold solder joint and remove with tweezers. Resolder a new joint with the rosin core solder onto the site to complete the circuit.
In some cases, a flathead screwdriver can be used to turn security screws, but will likely quickly strip the screw head.
Soldering can cause the release of dangerous fumes into the air. Always work in a ventilated environment. Working with electronic equipment can be dangerous. Safety precautions like resistant gloves can minimise risk. Taking the George Foreman grill apart will void any active product warranties that may apply.