How to neutralize gasoline spilled on tile floor
Made available by www.daytonauk.co.uk.
Gasoline is a flammable liquid, so it's not safe to have a puddle of it lying on your tile floor. Another reason why it's important to clean up a gasoline spill immediately is safety for your children and pets. Since this liquid is dangerous, it needs to neutralised with ingredients so it can be disposed of properly.
Continue reading to find out how to neutralise gasoline spilt on tile floor.
Evaluate the situation by determining where the spill is as well as any potential accidents. For example, keep any children and adults out of the room and also ventilate the area so you don't feel sick or get a headache.
Pour enough cat litter on the spill(s) so that the gasoline gets completely soaked up. Clay cat litter is versatile because it can be used to soak up different hazardous materials.
- Gasoline is a flammable liquid, so it's not safe to have a puddle of it lying on your tile floor.
- Pour enough cat litter on the spill(s) so that the gasoline gets completely soaked up.
After a few minutes, use a broom and dust pan to sweep up the cat litter. Place the soiled litter in a plastic bag so you can put it in your garbage can.
Pour some Dawn dish soap onto the tile to clean the area. This particular dish soap is gentle, but it's also effective at cutting through grease.
Massage the soap into the tile to remove the residual gasoline then buff the tile with a soft, cotton towel. Your tile will be clean, scented and shiny.
- Gloss your tile floor with a sealant that protects against spills such as gasoline, especially if the tile will be in your garage.
- Keep a bag of clay cat litter in your garage in case another spill occurs in the future.
- Avoid using soap and water, because gasoline is greasy and the water will spread it around.