How to take off the top of a PS3 Slim
Alex Grimm/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Although a complex and powerful machine, the PS3 Slim is relatively easy to open up. This will allow you to replace or upgrade parts as long as you are confident about what you are doing. The first step of any replacement or upgrade is to get inside the case without causing any damage.
Unplug your PS3 Slim from the mains, leave it for a minute or so, then turn it upside down.
Remove the rubber feet to expose a total of eight screws for the case. You may need to use a blade such as a Stanley knife to do this, but you may also be able to remove them by pinching with tour fingers.
Unscrew the eight screws. Note that one of the screws does not just hold the cover in place, but also secures the hard drive. This screw may be blue rather than black. If you want to replace the hard drive, you can simply remove this eighth screw and slide the drive out using the metal pull tab, without the need to further disassemble the PS3.
- Although a complex and powerful machine, the PS3 Slim is relatively easy to open up.
- If you want to replace the hard drive, you can simply remove this eighth screw and slide the drive out using the metal pull tab, without the need to further disassemble the PS3.
Turn the PS3 Slim back over (to "right way up") and lift the lid. Carry out whatever work you need to do inside the PS3 Slim. Make sure to keep any screws you remove safe and avoid mixing them up.
Replace any screws you removed while working on the PS3, then turn it upside down again, push the case back into position, replace the eight screws (seven for case, one for hard drive) and replace the rubber feet.
- Purchase and use an anti-static strap for additional protection. This reduces the risk of static electricity causing damage to your PS3. You use the strap by putting it around your risk and running it along, or connecting it to, a piece of grounded such as a cold water pipe.
- Whatever repair or replacement work you plan to do inside your PS3, research and make a note of the necessary steps before opening up the case.
- Take extreme care when using a blade to avoid hurting yourself.
- Removing the case from your PS3 Slim will usually void your warranty. This means Sony will no longer be legally responsible for fixing any failures that arise during the warranty period.
A professional writer since 1998 with a Bachelor of Arts in journalism, John Lister ran the press department for the Plain English Campaign until 2005. He then worked as a freelance writer with credits including national newspapers, magazines and online work. He specializes in technology and communications.