Bitter Apple & Dog Allergies

Written by tara m. clapper
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Bitter Apple & Dog Allergies
Bitter Apple can help dogs stick to biting their toys--not your furniture. (Image by, courtesy of Grace)

Grannick's Bitter Apple is a taste deterrent product for pets. Pet owners commonly use Bitter Apple to deter dogs from chewing on furniture and other large objects. The ingredients of Bitter Apple do not typically cause allergic reactions in dogs, though it can be used to deter dogs from materials that cause allergies.

Other People Are Reading


Dogs are not allergic to the ingredients of Bitter Apple when ingested. Bitter Apple is comprised mostly of water and 20 per cent isopropanol, which has not been reported as an allergen for dogs.


Bitter Apple can be used as a means of allergy prevention. Dog owners can apply Bitter Apple to surfaces containing allergens if the dog licks the surface, such as an area of the floor.


According to the 1-800-Pet-Meds Q&A section regarding Bitter Apple, some trainers recommend using Bitter Apple directly on a dog's paws to prevent allergy-related licking. (This licking also tends to produce fungal growth on the dog's feet.) The product is intended for use directly on the dog to prevent hot spots and hair chewing.

Expert Insight

Do not spray Bitter Apple directly on a dog's genitalia or anus to prevent licking. Do not spray Bitter Apple in or near the eyes of any pet or human as this will cause irritation.


Call a veterinarian immediately if a dog ingests a large amount of Bitter Apple. Although this is unlikely (because dogs detest the taste), a veterinarian should examine a dog for problems if too much Bitter Apple has been consumed.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.