Save yourself a trip to the pharmacy while you're not feeling well by mixing your own home remedy using ingredients readily available in most kitchens. Soothe your sore throat and cough instantly with honey and lemon water. Honey has been proven to reduce the instance of coughing and is safe for children ages 2 and older. Warm lemon water has been proven to soothe a sore throat. Mixing the two at home will help you avoid processed chemicals and medicines that could make symptoms worse.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Microwave safe mug
- Small lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
Place 1 cup of water in a microwave safe mug.
Heat for one minute. If you do not have a microwave, place the water in a small pot over medium heat and heat until hot but not boiling. Once bubbles start to form on the bottom of the pot, the water has become too hot and will need to cool before you can safely drink it.
Cut the lemon in half across the roundest part. Cut across the grain of the lemon and not from end to end.
Squeeze both halves of the lemon into the water until you are no longer able to get any more juice. Do not worry about the seeds falling into your water. They can be removed with a spoon or left in the cup as you drink and discarded later.
Stir in the honey and continue stirring until well mixed. The honey will dissolve into the water as a result of the heat. Drink the water quickly before it cools to room temperature for the best results. You will notice immediately that your throat feels better as you drink.
Tips and warnings
- After your sore throat goes away, replace your toothbrush. The old one can actually cause you to get a sore throat again.
- This remedy can be taken as often as needed without any side effect or consequence, if you are not diabetic. If you have diabetes, test your blood sugar or consult your doctor before consuming this mixture.
- Young children should not be given honey. Contact your physician to find out ages when proper to administer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for