Stretches for beginning gymnasts include the pike stretch, straddle sit, and butterfly sit. Increase your flexibility with help from a gymnastics coach in this free video on beginning gymnastics.
Hi, my name is Andrea, and I have my kids here to help me demonstrate stretching for beginning gymnastics. The materials you will need are a floor and a wide open space. One good stretch for beginning gymnastics is a pike stretch. You first reach your hands out toward your toes and try to go as low as you can while keeping your legs straight. You can then come up and try a straddle sit. You just bring your legs apart, not too far apart and stretch toward the middle and toward both sides. Another very good stretch for pre-school age gymnastics is the butterfly sit. You put your feet together and bring them in closer toward your body. You then try to push your knees down toward the ground and then bring them back up. My name is Andrea, and I've just demonstrated stretching for pre-school age gymnastics.
- Overview of Gymnastics for Beginners
- Tuck Jumps for Beginner Gymnasts
- Forward Tumbling for Beginner Gymnasts
- Standing Handsprings & Tucks for Beginner Gymnasts
- Round Offs for Beginner Gymnasts
- Back Extension Rolls for Beginner Gymnasts
- Hand Stands for Beginner Gymnastics
- How to Do Forward Rolls in Beginner Gymnastics
- Pike, Bridge, Rock n' Roll Gymnastics & Tumbling Stretches
- How to Do the Splits for Beginner Gymnasts
- Stretching for Beginner Gymnasts